A lot of self-employed small business owners are sole proprietors that work by themselves or with clients and don’t feel the need to make a checklist or template of what they on a regular basis since they are the only one doing the tasks. Though, if they get sick or busy, the tasks are not completed. Then, they feel overwhelmed and anxious, frustrated that they can’t finish their projects. I am here to convince you that making templates and checklists are critical to your small business.
The Benefits of Making Templates and Checklists for your Small Business
- When you have a template or checklist of all the steps for are a particular task, you can stop in the middle of the process and allow yourself to do other more time-sensitive tasks.
- You can see where you can improve the steps and where the process is most effective and where it is less efficient.
- You will see the big picture and how it fits in your business.
- You can give the checklist to a subcontractor to do the tasks that need completing.
It takes a little more time to set up the checklist or template initially. I know what you are thinking, this is a Con, isn’t it? But, after the setup process is over, it will save you time every time you need to do the task.
Tips on making templates or checklists:
- Start by making the list of each step while doing a project. Write down each step, use color markers or pens to indicate the different areas of templates.
- Then, the next time you are doing the project, use the checklist or template. Add and modify steps you may have missed or need to elaborate on and write them down.
- Type it up and revisit it one more time when you do the task again. By spending the time now, it will help you clearly see the patterns of the steps and may even help you determine a better and more efficient way of doing the project.
- Have a colleague or friend go through the process with your list to see if it works. Watch how they do the tasks. Is there anything that will need tweaking?
I hope I convinced you to take the time and make templates and checklists for your tasks. It will help you in the long run. If you don’t believe me, try it and see.
If you need help breaking down the process and creating checklists or templates, I have over 20 years of experience doing both and would be able to help you break down the process into easy to understand steps. Click here for more information.
Visit Microsoft Business Startup Checklist for more ideas.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.