Effective filing systems for the office make your business run more functionally. You can find papers easier and save time looking for them. To keep effective filing systems in your office, try these tasks and share them with everyone in your office to keep the system going consistently.
Steps to make a filing system more functional
- Determine how you want to retrieve the files. Do you want the files to be sorted by event, topic, or speaking engagement?
- Label each hanging and manila folders. This way, if you take out the manila folder, you will know what section to place the manila folder when you need to return it.
- Stick with the same labeling system. If you use front labels and file behind the tab, stay consistent. If you use color folders for particular folders, keep using those colors.
- Leave space in the drawer for new files. By purging every year to make room for the files, it will not only help your filing system stay current but it will also make your system more refined with what is going on that current year.
- Lay the paper in the folders so you can see the tabs. Papers sticking up out of the folders will block the tabs and make it more difficult to find a file.
- Find a filing cabinet that will hold all your files. Label each drawer a broad topic to help you and others find the right drawer more quickly and painlessly.
Remember, a filing system only works if everyone knows how it is organized and knows what to do when putting files in the filing system. Write down the exact instructions for your filing system as a reference to others. Hang it near your filing cabinet so everyone can refer to it. If you have several filing cabinets, make a map of the filing cabinets and label on the map what is in each drawer. As a result, users of the filing cabinet do not have to ask you where files are in the filing cabinets.
To have a functional filing system, it needs to be organized so you can retrieve your needed papers easily. A filing system that is not retrievable just takes up space. It is just filled with misplaced documents that are hard to find. As a result, you miss out on retrieving the important information in a timely manner. So, keep these tips in mind when creating your filing system.
What filing system tips do you use to retrieve your papers effectively? Please leave a comment below so we can continue the conversation.
Feel free to check out our Procedure Evaluations and Refinement Services. We can help your business.
Here are some additional articles from other experts that will also help you get your filing system organized.