How does your desk look right now? Our desks can get unruly very quickly especially in busy times. If we don’t take the time to decide on what we want as a desk, we may end up with a folding table and a chair (like my parents had in their businesses). I am here to tell you that this doesn’t work for all the long hours we spend there.
Desk areas are unique to each person. Some people like a well-organized space with lots of bins and folders. Others like a streamline look with little out but a computer and a planner. Some people don’t care either way. Our desks portray who we are and, therefore we should think of this space as an extension of ourselves. Our desks show others and us that we care about ourselves and how we manage our workday.
To help determine if you like your desk, ask yourself these questions: “What do you think of your desk?” “Do you think of your desk as a great place to work or just a place to get stuff done?” “Do you want to go to your desk in the morning or would you rather go to the nearby coffee shop?” Are you ready to move on and create a desk you absolutely love?
Ready for a change?
Here are six desk inspirations and tips to keep your desk organized from the beginning.
1. Use the vertical space in front and on the side of your desk. Vertical file folder bins on the wall is a great way to keep your surface free and clear.
2. Keep your stapler, calculator, pens, pencils, tape, and other supplies off the desk. I know it may seem appealing to keep the items at arms reach but really it’s just taking up space. Unless you are using them 3 or 4 times a day, they don’t need to be on your desk.
3. Have plenty of bins and file folders around your desk but not on your desk. They do not need to be too close to you. This gives you a better space to move around.
4. Make your desk a space that others can share. If you are like me and have an office in a shared room, add another desk in the space to invite others to stay and work when you want them too, of course. =)
5. Space spaces can be inspiring too. Turning a shallow small closet into an organized desk area, fun and simple. Just add some paint (wallpaper if you want). take down the doors and reframe the opening. There are plenty of wall-mounted desks that work great for this small space.
6. A multipurpose streamline desk combo works great. This type of desk also serves as a place to store other items. For example, it could be used in a guest bedroom to store your guest’s clothing.
Need some help keeping your awesome desk organized, here are some great tips for desk organization:
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.