Whether you have a home office or a traditional office, you probably have items lying around your desk that don’t necessarily need to be there. As you get busier and busier, you may have issues keeping your desk clear from clutter.
Why do you need to clear your desk space?
Well, there are the obvious reasons, like it distracts you from the work at hand and it doesn’t allow you space to work. There are also other reasons like helping you be more creative and being able to find things more quickly.
Here are 30 desk items to throw away for a tidy space right now.
- Pens, highlighters, markers, and dry erase markers that you don’t like or don’t use
- Miscellaneous drawer items like pins, extra scissors, etc…
- Old rubber bands
- Old printer cartridges
- Old electronics: monitors, computers, tablets, phones, cassette tapes, and recorders
- Old charging cables
- Broken wired headsets
- Old calculators
- Dusty dead plants
- Statues and figurines
- Old colored paper – it discolors over time.
- Old deposit slips from old bank accounts
- Old checks from old bank accounts
- Old business cards from associates and clients
- Remove pictures on desk and hang on the wall
- Out of date papers
- Papers with References that can be saved on the computer
- Used open envelopes mail. Use paper clips to hold the envelope and bill together.
- Old mail that doesn’t have a purpose
- Junk mail that needs to be recycled
- Old notepads with a few sheets left attached to them
- Extra push pins – we all have too many push pins. Do you even have a cork board in your office?
- Desk lamp that isn’t being used.
- Old sticky notes
- Old phone books
- In box pile of papers
- Nail polish and make-up – my mother would have this at her desk all the time.
- Snack wrappers
- Empty water bottles
- Books that have another home
I hope this list gives you a starting point to clear your desk clutter. I know it helps me to have a list of items. Below is a checklist to help you.
Which items did you get rid of from the list above to clear the clutter? Please leave a comment below.
Here is another post that talks about decluttering your desk.
These links are from Amazon and if you click through and purchase I will receive a small commission.