I work with many first-time small business owners creating and maintaining their social media presence on the world stage.
Many feel intimated with being online, sharing themselves and promoting their small business. I am here to tell you, we’ve all been there. The best way to look at being online for your business is not to advertise your business. You are there to be of service to others. You are there to share your experience, expertise and find out what others want or need. Here are some questions to ask yourself before you begin:
Questions to ask yourself:
What are people looking for when coming to my social media page?
- Some answers could be feel-good or funny images, tips, articles on a particular topic, political discussion/ideas. Ultimately people are looking for an honest and trustworthy resource to relate to.
What are people missing in their lives that would make them visit my social media page?
- Some answers could be: Lack of family nearby, missing the connection with friends, happiness, a place to voice their opinions and share ideas.
When are the most likely times people will visit my page and how frequently should I post?
- Some answers could be: once or twice a day, working hours, late evening.
Why Should I Be On Social Media?
If you still feel intimidated and wonder what the benefits are, here are my 5 favorite inspirational quotes.
“Social media is changing the way we communicate and the way we are perceived, both positively and negatively. Every time you post a photo or update your status, you are contributing to your own digital footprint and personal brand.” ~ Amy Jo Martin"Social media is the ultimate equalizer. It gives a voice and a platform to anyone willing to engage." ~ Amy Jo Martin Click To Tweet
Great quotes, right? As you engage with others, be sure you have a clear idea of what you want to share. Making a list of topics is a great place to start. Remember it will take time figuring out what your viewers want so patience is important in the process.
Stats on why you need to be involved in social media:
If you need even more convincing here are 4 social media stats that will give you an extra push to get your business page set up on social media sites. Click to read more about other stats.
- 56% of Americans have a profile on a social networking site
- 71% of online adults use Facebook
- Those 65 and older has increased their usage by more than third since 2010 when 11% used social media.
- Of course, young adults are most likely to use social media these days.
When you start sharing on your page, you will receive your own business’ stats and you can determine where to go after a month or so. A social media presence will help you get your name out there with very little money.
If you are still not quite ready to take the plunge, know that your competitors are there sharing with your prospective clients. I hope this helps you take the next step in getting involved with social media. If you need help, feel free to view my social media page or engage with me about my services.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.