In this fast pace world, managing work and home life need to be a priority. But, you don’t have to have a clean break from work or home either. As small business owners, it’s difficult for us to separate ourselves completely from our work, so I am giving you permission not to let go of work but to set it aside for a bit. “A bit” can be an hour or longer whatever works for you. However long it takes to get reconnected to your home life. It’s up to you.
You may be thinking how I can separate from work; it’s only me? Remember this is not a “well, I’ll do this someday task.” You need to start right now. By learning to separate your work and home life will give you the opportunity to take care of yourself each and every day, not just once in a while. Taking care of yourself doesn’t need to be long drawn out tasks. On my home organizing blog, Sabrina’s Organizing, I have a series of posts that give you examples of this. 20 ways to take care of yourself in 20 minutes and Another 20 minute Take Care of Yourself in 20 minutes posts give you specific tasks you can do in 20 minutes. Feel free to click on these links to check them out.
The Benefits of Letting Go of Work Each Evening
You need to remember that a little separation is OK for small business owners. You may not realize the benefits you have if you do this. So, here are some to remind you.
- Your stress level will drop. Stress is a leading cause of many illnesses. Read more about the link between stress and heart disease at “This might be how stress and heart attacks are linked” from CNN.
- You will sleep better. Stop thinking about work will allow you to do other things and when you are ready to go to bed, it will be all about sleeping and less about the talking mind about what needs to be done later.
- Your body will thank you. Detaching from your work could help you lose weight or make you more aware of when you are under stress.
- Your creativity will soar. I find that creativity only happens when there aren’t lots of to-dos. Stop the doing for a little bit will allow the creativity to come in and help you explore new opportunities for yourself and your business.
- Your family will be happier. If your family gets annoyed with you because you are always working, by making this change, you will see a drastic difference in your relationship with your family.
I hope these benefits remind you of the improvements that will happen if you separate just a bit from your small business each day.
5 ways to separate your work life from home life
Now that you are committed to having a home life, how do you start? Here are 5 examples of what you can do to detach just a bit.
- Turn off the phone. Phones are constant distractions and can draw you back into your small business.
- Leave your phone in the garage on the charger. If you have an insulated garage, try having a charging station in your garage and store your bags, charger, and coats there so when you enter the home, it because family time.
- Have a few places to go for a change of scenery. These places can be areas in your home or outside of your home. If you have a beautiful park nearby, a museum, or coffee shop that you love to visit. Make a note of them and when you need to detach from your home office, take a trip to those places.
- Draw, paint, or color. Find a hobby that will get you outside of your head and do something creative.
- Do exercise outside the home. Make going to the gym after your work day a routine so when you return home, it will be like you have just returned from work.
Even if you can’t detach from work completely, by adding a few of these tasks to your daily routine will make you feel more in control of your life and your business. I hope this inspires you to adjust your life to separate a bit from your small business. Your family and business will thank you!
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.