While working at your desk, you stand up and go to file a paper across the room then go to the desk and type up a report and print the document. Then, get up again and go to the printer to grab the paperwork. This cycle happens several times throughout the day. So, to make your life easier, I set up six tips to make your office more organized.
Please note: I have included Amazon (affiliate) links, and if you click through and purchase something on the Amazon store, I will receive a small referral fee.
6 Tips to Make Your Office More Organized
- Everything should be within arm’s reach. From supplies that you often use to files that are used regularly, everything shouldn’t be farther than arm’s length. Since I have a standing desk, I like to place a small bookshelf next to me to hold all the small items that would normally be on my desk.
- Hideaway your keyboard and mouse. This will make more room on top of your desk for other papers. Since I work with papers often, I like to make my desk as clear as possible. So, keeping the keyboard and mouse in a drawer attached to the desk makes it easier to hide away.
- If you have many projects, it can cause an issue with
organization. Only have one project out at a time and store the other projects in their respectivebin. Label the bins with removal labels so you can reuse the bin after the project was completed.
- Use the filing cabinet closest to you for frequently used files. Limiting it to one drawer works best. This way you will only be able to fit the absolute important stuff in it.
- Lateral filing cabinets are larger and can store more files than two vertical pull out filing cabinet. They take less space in your office also and give you more surface space to hold filing bins, printer, and other items.
- Post reference information near you for easy access. We like to keep a general list of Payroll tax agency’s phone numbers and other contact information at arm’s reach for easy access when we need to contact them.
Making your office space more organized will cut how long it takes you to do general tasks and streamline your daily process. Try it and let me know how it goes. If you need help with your office organizing, check out my organizing office services.