According to *Pew Research Center, 61 percent of Americans own a smart phone, and 3 out of 4 of them report that they use their phones to find different small businesses and other businesses. Is your site mobile ready?
I search the internet many times each day for clients and for my businesses.
Recently, I was on a popular business site on my smart phone and as I started reading an article, there were lots of ads that kept popping up and covering all the text in the article, disrupting me while I was reading and causing me to loss my place and focus. After a few tries to read the article, I got so frustrated that I closed the page and went on to do something else. Have you ever experienced that? You probably have.
Here are some reasons to create a mobile website:
- Mobile websites can reach anyone with a mobile device.
- This gives you more opportunity to reach your target audience.
- We are using mobile devices more often these days and it is only going to grow.
- Reaching your potential customers while they are on the go will only increase over the coming years.
Making a great post and not being able to have people read it, is such a waste. Stories should be accessible without distractions. Everyone should be able to read your posts easily and effortlessly. That is why I prefer to put my ads at the bottom of the post, not in the middle or have a pop-up that you can’t close. (See below.)
There are many ways to set up mobile versions of your website. Here are some tips to set up a mobile version of your site.
- If you use WordPress for your website, check out your plugin sections to see if you may already have a mobile version on your site. If you do not, click on new plugin and search for mobile plugin. Be sure to read the reviews on the different plug-in and make sure it is compatible to your website.
- After you activate your plugin you want to use, be sure to go into the plugin and make changes to customize the design and options to match with your website.
- If you feel overwhelmed in the process, contact a professional web designer to help you setup a mobile version. Be sure you get testimonials (names and contact numbers) so you can follow-up them and see if they do what they say they do. Here is a marketing agency that does web designs for customers, as well as other advertising. They are great! Northlight Advertising.
After you get the mobile setup, here are tips to help you keep it working efficiently.
- Go on your mobile device and check out your mobile site. Checking it once a week or each month to make sure it works properly is important.
- Make sure your images scale correctly. Only showing half the image or making the image too small will only frustrate your visitors.
- Make sure your plug-ins are up-to-date. If your plugin on your site has an update and you are not using it, it may create loading issues and viewing issues on your mobile site.
I hope this helps you get started on your quest to offer better mobile service to your potential customers. Please share your tips below on what you learned about mobile sites. Don’t forget to share this post with other small business owners.